Living In Sarasota Link Business and Development Link Visiting Sarasota Link Inside City Government Link Online Services Link City Calendars Link

City of Sarasota Home

Submit Requests, Concerns, Feedback & Report Graffiti

City Departments

Public Works Division

Utilities Division

Sarasota Green City

News & Announcements


Public Services
Public Works / Public Services
Water, Sewer & Reuse
Solid Waste | Streets and Highways | Water, Sewer & Reuse | Enviro Links

Q: What are the services/responsibilities of the Public Works Department?

A: Public Works provides citizens with the essential services of water, wastewater collection, roads and drainage. The department is responsible for the continuance of clean and safe streets and sidewalks, functional stormwater facilities to prevent flooding of streets and buildings, wastewater collection system for the health and well being of the public. The Public Works Department distributes safe, potable water and reclaimed water.

  Q: I have questions about my utility bill. Who do I call?

A: You can call 954-4196/4197 or come by in person to our Utility Billing Office located at 1761 12th Street. Hours are 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.

  Q: How much does it cost to get my water turned on?

A: The initial charge to get water turned on is $196.66. This amount represents $150.00 deposit, $21.66 advance solid waste collection charge, and $25.00 non-refundable service charge. This amount must be paid prior to water being turned on.

  Q: How do I open a new water account?

A: Accounts must be opened in person at the Utility Billing Office located 1761, 12th street. Your social security number, a photo I.D., lease/rental agreement/settlement statement, and the initial charge of $196.66 is required.

  Q: Where can I pay my bill?

A: Payments may be made in person at the Utility Billing Office, 1761, 12th Street, Monday through Friday or by mail to P.O. Box 31656, Tampa, FL 33631.

Q: When is my bill due?

A: Monthly bills are due and payable upon receipt. To ensure proper credit , please include your account number on your check. Please allow 5-7 business days for payment by mail.

Q: What are your hours of operation?

A: Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. We are closed on weekends and holidays.

  Q: How do I transfer my account to another address or close my account?

A: To close an account, you may call or visit the Utility Billing Office in person. After the final meter reading is made, if you have a $150.00 deposit on file it will be credited to your account. You will then receive either a bill or a refund check for the difference. This takes approximately 4 - 6 weeks.

You may transfer an existing account to another address within the City as long as the account remains in the same name. Your $150.00 deposit can be transferred to the new account, provided the terminated account is paid in full.

  Q: Why do I have low water pressure?

A: Low water pressure may occur for several reasons, frequently in the customer's own system, such as leaks, closed house valve, water softener/conditioner, etc. Call 955-2325 for assistance.

  Q: Are there any water restrictions in the City of Sarasota?

A: Yes, the City of Sarasota currently has the following watering restrictions:
  • If you have an even numbered address, you can water on Tuesday.
  • If you have an odd numbered address, you can water on Thursday.

Watering is not allowed between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m.

For additional water conservation information, call the Southwest Florida Water Management District at 1-800-423-1476.

  Q: I've found a leak in the City service. What should I do?

A: Water division employees maintain water mains and service lines up to the outlet (customer side) of the meter. To report water leaks, call 955-2325, Monday through Friday, 7:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. All other times, please call 955-4838.

  Q: Is Reclaimed water available to Sarasota residents?

A: Reclaimed water service is provided either with direct service from a transmission main or with construction of a distribution system within a neighborhood. For more information about the availability of reclaimed water in your area and how to apply for service, please call the Public Works Technical Services Division at 955-2325.

Q: Where do I report problems with overflowing manholes or streets that are flooding?

A: For emergency repair service for water or sewer, please call 955-2325, Monday through Friday, 7:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. All other times, please call 955-4838.

  Q: A sanitary lift station has a flashing red light or an alarm ringing. What should I do?
A: For Lift Stations that have a red light flashing or an alarm bell sounding, please call 955-2325, Monday through Friday, 7:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. All other times, please call 955-4838.

  Q: My sewer is stopped up. What should I do?

A: For a sewer that is stopped up,. please call 955-2325, Monday through Friday, 7:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. All other times, please call 955-4838.

Q: How much are impact fees?

A: A permit to connect to the City's water distribution system shall be valid for a period of 12 months from the date of the permit . These charges represent the cost of providing a metered connection to the system and are in addition to established monthly charges for service.

All payments must be made in advance.

A fire hydrant construction meter requires a $750.00 refundable deposit .

For fire line cost, you will need to make an application. There will be no impact fees charged, but there may be inspection fees.

For an irrigation meter there will be no impact fees, but there will be installation fees.

Meter Size Water Fees Installation Fees Sewer Fees Installation Fees combines Fees Maximum Flows (GPM)
  5/8" $ 900 $275 $2,577.00 $575 $4,327.00 0-20
  1" $2,250 $350 $6,442.50 $575 $9,617.50 20-50
  1.5" $4,500 $710 $12,885.00 $575 $18,670.00 50-100
  2" $7,200 $1,150 $20,616.00 $575 $29,541.00 100-160
  3" $14,400 $1,600 $41,232.00 $575 $57,807.00 160-320
  4" $22,500 $2,100 $64,425.00 $575 $89,600.00 350-500
  6" $45,000 COST $128,850.00 COST $173,850.00 1000
  8" $72,000 COST $206,160.00 COST $278,160.00 1500

Q: How can I find out my tap location?

A: This information is available in the Public Works Technical Services Division Office located at 1750 12th Street. You may visit our office between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, or call for information at 955-2325.



Frequently Asked Questions Site Map
Contact Us - send us an email
City of Sarasota address: 1565 1st Street, Sarasota, FL, 34236,
Under Florida law, e-mail addresses are public records. If you do not want your e-mail address released in response to a public-records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity. Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing.