Business and Development Link
Living In Sarasota Link Visiting Sarasota Link Inside City Government Link Online Services Link City Calendars Link

City of Sarasota Home

Submit Requests, Concerns, Feedback & Report Graffiti

Neighborhood and Development Services Department

Housing & Community Development Division

Neighborhoods, Redevelopment and Special Projects Division

North Sarasota/Newtown Redevelopment Division

Planning, Development and Zoning Division

Transportation Engineering

News & Announcements


  Building Information

Flood Insurance Information

One of the best protection measures for a building with a flood problem is National Flood Insurance, which is purchased through any property insurance agent. If the building is located in a floodplain, most mortgage lenders will require flood insurance. Be sure to include the cost of a policy in your mortgage and financial planning. Regardless of where your property is located in the City, you are eligible for flood insurance.

Every year flooding causes hundreds of millions of dollars worth of damage to homes and businesses in the United States. Standard homeowners and commercial property insurance policies do not cover flood losses. To meet the need for this vital coverage, the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) administers the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP).

Floodplain Management Quickguide

Local Mitigation Strategy

The City of Sarasota is vulnerable to a number of natural hazards including the effect of flood and wind damage caused by hurricanes, tropical storms, wither storms, tornados, and wildfires. With a sizable amount of the City’s land in a floodplain, an aging population, and history of natural hazard damages, it is clear that a focus on hazard mitigation will likely go a long way to benefiting the overall well-being of the City’s residents. The Sarasota County Unified Local Mitigation Strategy 2009 has been constructed in accordance with the requirements of the 2000 Disaster Management Act, and will provide the City and its citizens a better understanding of the natural hazards the City faces.

Download the complete Local Mitigation Strategy

For more information or any welcomed public input eMail Gil Fernandez.


The Community Rating System

The NFIP offers reasonable priced flood insurance in communities that participate in the Community Rating System (CRS) by complying with minimum standards for floodplain management. The City of Sarasota became a participating CRS community in 1990. Flood insurance in The City of Sarasota is available to all owners of insurable property. Owners and renters may insure their personal property against flood loss, as well. Condominiums are also eligible for flood insurance protection. Because of the City's participation in the CRS program, flood insurance is available through any licensed property insurance agent or broker. If you are interested in purchasing flood insurance for your property, you should call your local insurance agent.

For More Information

If you would like more information about flood insurance or the City of Sarasota's participation in the Community Rating System program, you may call Gerald (Buster) Chapin, CRS Coordinator at (941) 954-4127.

This brochure will answer many of your questions:
Flood Safety Brochure (publication #Z103)

Check out these other resources for more information:

City of Sarasota Floodplain Management Plan

Sarasota County Government Flood Map Info

Sarasota County Stormwater Environmental Utility (SEU) website

FEMA Flood Information

Official Site of the National Flood Insurance Program

Flood Preparation Information

Evacuation Shelters and Maps

Links to Local Media Outlets

Storm Center Link

City of Sarasota Emergency Information

Frequently Asked Questions Site Map
Contact Us - send us an email

City of Sarasota address: 1565 1st Street, Sarasota, FL, 34236,

Under Florida law, e-mail addresses are public records. If you do not want your e-mail address released in response to a public-records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity. Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing.